So much music, so much fun.
Sound of Music has exploded in size since it’s modest beginnings in 1980 as a marching band parade. Every year in June, due to the passion, love and commitment of hundreds of volunteers, a small staff, and a roster of generous sponsors and suppliers music takes over Burlington Downtown and Waterfront.
As the region’s largest music event we support an eclectic combination of new and emerging artists, blasts from the past and some of today’s most popular performers.
Music can be heard throughout our downtown for nine days straight.
From our ticketed Kick-off Concert, to our Sound of Music Club Series that brings local talent to the spotlight one show at a time, and of course our Grande Festival Parade, an ongoing tradition since 1980, there’s no shortage of entertainment on every corner. The Downtown Streetfest, Children’s Village, carnival, vendors and FREE concerts on Father’s Day Weekend never cease draws crowds of all ages, from near and far.
Sound of Music Festival is a part of Burlington.
The Festival brings people together and creates memories and traditions that last a lifetime. Ask anyone in town and they’re likely to have a Sound of Music story. The Festival remains an annual event, run as a not-for-profit corporation, in partnership but apart from the City of Burlington. Sound of Music is the city’s biggest event of the year, generating 11.7 million in economic activity and playing host to well over 200,000 visitors.
We are the Sound of Music.
Sound of Music Festival is honoured to receive the 2016 Ontario Tourism Award of Excellence for Tourism Event of the Year. The Festival is also proud to have earned and received Festival and Events Ontario’s ‘Festival of Distinction’ designation ranking us amongst the best events in Ontario. The Festival has been the recipient of the ‘Grand Pinnacle’ from the IFEA (International Festival and Events Association). The Grand Pinnacle is the IFEA’s highest award (divided into four budget categories) reflecting the best overall festival or event in the world.
The Festival has been recognized in a variety of other categories including:
- Winner of Best Local Tourist Attraction and Best Live Entertainment by Burlington Post Reader’s Choice
- Voted one of the Top 100 Festivals in Ontario by FEO (Festivals & Events Ontario), 14th year in row
- Awarded FEO Achievement Award for Best Volunteer Program
- Awarded FEO Achievement Award for Best Social Media Campaign
- Awarded FEO Achievement Award for Best New Single Sponsorship
- Awarded FEO Achievement Award for Best Promotion of a Festival
- Awarded FEO Achievement Award for Best Greening of a Festival
- Winner of the RCO (Recycling Council of Ontario) Gold award for waste minimization
- Endorsed and supported by SOCAN (Society of Composers, Authors and Music Publishers of Canada)
- Voted Musical Event of the Year 2012 by People’s Choice from the Hamilton Music Awards